Week 6 – Apply: Signature Assignment: Financial Plan
Prepare a PowerPoint presentation that details a financial plan for the company you select for your business plan. This assignment must be done in PowerPoint. No other formats will be accepted (ie Word). This financial plan will be included in your final business plan in your capstone course. To be clear, you get to choose your own start-up for this assignment. If you wanted to open up your own company, what would you do? How would you get started?
Describe the business, including the type of business.
Create the business case.
- Determine why and how much funding is needed for the company.
- Determine the sources of funding. Consider self-funding, borrowing, equity, venture capital, etc.
- Evaluate the requirements of each funding source you determined appropriate.
- Analyze the associated risks of each funding source.
- Decide which sources are the best fit for your company based on the requirements of each. Justify your decision.
- Estimate the cost of capital for both short-term and long-term funding sources. Research current estimated APRs for your selected sources of funding. Consider creating a table or chart to display this information.
Create a profit-and-loss statement for a 3-year period. Project revenue, stating realistic assumptions, such as growth per year, in your projections. Estimate direct costs, including capital, marketing, labor, and supply costs.
Create the presentation in the following format, with at least one slide covering each of the following areas. Use minimal information on the slides (ie bullet points) and speaker notes for the actual write-up. Speaker notes are a requirement. Use a dark font over a light background and a large enough font (24 or greater). The outline is as follows:
Reason and Amount of Funding Required
Source of Funding: Self-Funding (requirements and risks)
Source of Funding: Debt (requirements and risks)
Source of Funding: Equity (requirements and risks)
Overall Choice of Funding and Reasoning (you can use a combination of funding sources)
Cost of Capital (short-term and long-term)
3-Year P&L Statements (detail revenue, expenses, and net income) – You must include a discussion as to growth, estimates, etc. In other words, you must explain your numbers.
Required Reference (this reference must be included on your references slide)
Brealey, R., Myers, S. C., Marcus, A. J. (2020). Fundamentals of corporate finance (10th ed). McGraw-Hill Education: New York, NY.