Psychologically, promotions help satisfy employees’ need for
2. Supervisors that excel at conducting performance-feedback interviews typically have received _________ prior to conducting appraisals.
a. a bonus
b. a promotion
3. _____ translate job requirements into levels of acceptable or unacceptable employee behavior.
a. Reliability judgments
b. Qualitative analyses
c. Absolute rating systems
d. Performance standards
4. Prior to the performance-feedback interview, the supervisor should
a. communicate frequently with subordinates about their performance
b. set aside a maximum of 15 minutes to write the appraisal
c. have a coworker complete the entire appraisal
d. refrain from speaking to subordinates
5. From the organizations perspective, the four broad types of internal moves include
a. promotions, demotions, transfers, and relocations
b. promotions, demotions, transfers, and layoffs
c. layoffs, retirements, resignations, and demotions
d. demotions, transfers, relocations, and resignations
6. Most companies require that appraisal results be
a. discussed with the employee
b. sent by certified mail to the employee
c. e-mailed to the employee
d. only provided on an annual basis
7. To minimize defensive behavior, procedures used for promotion decisions must be
c. changed frequently
8. The advantage of using a behavioral checklist is that
a. it focuses directly on job behaviors
b. it is good for individual feedback and development
c. it provides a direct link between job analysis and performance appraisal
d. the meaning of response categories is generally interpreted similarly by various raters
9. Which of the following is a disadvantage of forced distribution?
a. Provides little basis for individual feedback and development
b. May be inaccurate if a group of employees is either very effective or ineffective
c. Difficult to make comparisons across employees
d. Forces raters to make distinctions among employees
10. Appraisals provide legal and formal organizational justification for
a. employment decisions
b. high executive salaries
c. bringing legal action against employees
d. keeping unions out
11. The answer to the question “What really makes the difference between success and failure on a particular job, and according to whom?” determines
12. Which of the following is an advantage of narrative essays?
a. Provides a direct link between job analysis and performance appraisal
b. Good for making comparisons across employees
c. Forces raters to make distinctions among employees
d. Good for individual feedback and development
13. One requirement of sound appraisal systems is _____, which refers to consistency of judgment.
14. ________ implies that a performance appraisal system is capable of distinguishing effective from ineffective performers.
15. To avoid legal difficulties regarding performance appraisals, organizations should
a. use the competitors appraisal system
b. allow supervisors flexibility in the appraisal process
c. train supervisors on how to skip embarrassing questions
d. provide written instructions and train supervisors on the rating system
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.