September 2023 Business Finance Assignment
Module 2 – Case
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) & TRAINING
Many employers have discovered that equal employment opportunity (EEO) provides an organization with the opportunity to use the knowledge, skills, and abilities of all people resulting in a strategic competitive advantage. Over the years, women have made more of a presence in the workforce. As a matter of fact, women have nearly matched men in terms of workforce percentages, with 53 percent of jobs filled by men and 47 percent by women. Women are also starting to take on top-level managerial roles in the workforce. There are currently many female CEOs (e.g., Marissa Mayer of Yahoo, Indra Nooyi of PepsiCo or Andrea Jung of Avon). As the workforce becomes more diverse, human resource professionals need to be aware of the fact that the selection and promotion criteria that employers use can discriminate against women and how women are facing different challenges in the workforce. One aspect of a thriving employment brand is the recruitment of women in the workforce.
Please begin by reading:
Frett, D.L. (2010). Pay equity is good for business and good for working women. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://help.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Frett.pdf
Lockwood, N. (2004). The glass ceiling: Domestic and international perspectives. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://www.nawbola.org/images/glass_ceiling.pdf
Nino, L. (2006). Women: Feminism, sexuality, and equality in the work place. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://www.g-casa.com/download/Nino_Women_s_sexuality.pdf
Sloan Network. (2009). Questions and answers about women in the workforce: A Sloan Work and Family Research Network fact sheet. Retrieved on September 13, 2014 from: http://wfnetwork.bc.edu/pdfs/womenwork.pdf
Then, drawing on the material in the background readings and doing additional research, please prepare a 4-5 page paper (not including the cover and reference pages) in which you:
- Analyze the importance of women in the workforce from a human resource professional perspective and discuss strategies for selecting and recruiting women in the workforce.
- What trainings could you provide?
- Discuss an effective and unbiased hiring process framework of selecting, interviewing, and recruiting both men and women in the workforce. For example, discuss the importance of structured interviewing, behavioral interviewing, reference/background checks, pre-employment screenings, job offers (e.g., employment-at-will or contracts), and post-offer screenings.
Your paper will be evaluated on the following points:
- Precision – Does the paper address the question(s) or task(s)?
- Clarity – Is the writing clear and the concepts articulated properly? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of response to the questions, or are excessive use of quotations how thoughts are conveyed? Are headings included in all papers greater than 2 pages?
- Breadth – Is the full breadth of the subject addressed?
- Depth – Does the paper address the topic in sufficient depth?
- Grammar, spelling and vocabulary – Is the paper written well – is the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary suitable to graduate level work?
- Referencing (citations and references) – Does the paper use citations and quotation marks when appropriate?
- Critical thinking – Is the subject thought about critically, i.e., accurately, logically, relevantly, and precisely?